Greening is a very simple and effective way to make your home, office or workspace more sustainable. It is a step-by-step process that can be completed in just a day. Greening is the process of transforming common materials, such as paper and cardboard, into recycled materials where possible for immediate use. By using reclaimed materials for everyday items you will save money and help the environment at the same time!
Tips for Greening your kitchen
1. Use recycled paper products such as writing paper, envelopes, note pads etc.
2. Make your own reusable shopping bags from old materials such as an old shirt or pieces of an old sheet.
3. Buy fresh fruit and vegetables that are in season and save on plastic storage bags that you might not use up before spoiling.
4. Use cloth or handkerchiefs instead of tissues for sneezes or colds and use cloth nappies when changing babies or toddlers instead of disposable nappies (diapers). The same applies to cloth bibs where possible.
5. Make your own cleaning products from food grade ingredients such as vinegar, baking soda and bicarbonate of soda, washing-up liquid etc.
6. Use waterless hand cleaner for cleaning your kitchen surfaces and glass surface. Use vinegar to clean out the dust bins in the bathroom and change out the loo paper once a week or every few weeks depending on how much you use it.
7. Reuse window film as window cling or to cover gaps in your windows where possible.
8. Use waterless glass cleaner to wash your windows and mirrors. If you have hard water, use a peeler to remove the film off your mirrors.
9. Reuse old clothes or sheets as table cloths and place mats at the dining table, use them for airing sheets on the washing line etc. You can even use old sheets for bed making with an iron on the reverse side of your fabric if it is wrinkled, this flattens out the wrinkles very quickly and needs no ironing!
In conclusion, if you want to be green at home, it is never too late to start. Little changes can be made by everyone with little effort and cost. The benefits are huge, not only in helping the environment.